A Complete Guide on Sleeping / Camping in Your Jeep Wrangler
A Jeep is an adventurer’s dream off-road vehicle! They’re tough and can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go. A Jeep makes a great companion for any person who loves camping outdoors.
Customizing your Jeep for sleeping/camping is not only fun to do, but fun to use once you’re done. The process of modifying your Jeep is a very easy process. It’s very important you customize your Jeep for its specific needs. For example, you’ll customize a 2 door Jeep differently than a 4 door.
If you’re new to the whole camping thing, be sure to check out my article: 5 Camping Essentials First Time Campers Forget to Pack.
It’s always a good idea to include a survival knife with your Jeep gear, read my article on how to choose the right one: What Makes a Good Survival Knife: How to Choose the Right One.
I found a really cool accessory on Amazon that every Jeep owner should mount on their Jeep! Check it out on Amazon.
Why Camp in Your Jeep
Using your Jeep for camping is not only convenient but super fun! A Jeep, in my opinion, is one of the best vehicles currently on the market. They’re strong, have amazing suspension, and are just an awesome all terrain vehicle.
Modifying your Jeep for sleeping and camping is a fun process and is really fun to use when finished. There is not one way to modify your Jeep. Everyone is different. Have you noticed that not one Jeep looks alike? Almost every Jeep you’ll see on the road is customized to the owner’s liking, at least to some extent.
When customizing your Jeep for camping, add your own feels and ideas, it’s your Jeep, make it look like you!
Before you begin customizing your Jeep, consider the following:
- Are wanting a comfortable sleeping experience or are you going to rough it?
- Is your Jeep a 2 door or a 4 door?
What Sleeping/Camping Experience are You Looking For
The first thing you’re going to want to do is figure out if you want to customize your Jeep for a comfortable camping experience, such as having a mattress of some kind inside the Jeep. Or, are you going to rough it by modifying your Jeep to have a tent on top.
One way is not really better than the other, it’s all based on your personal preference. Here are a few ways to determine the way you would like to customize your Jeep:
- The space inside your Jeep. – Are you wanting to limit the available space inside your Jeep by putting in a mattress, etc? If this is not for you, then sleeping inside your Jeep may not be for you.
- How comfortable do you want to be? – Obviously, sleeping inside your Jeep will be the most comfortable. If sleeping on a harder surface doesn’t bother you, then you may want to modify your Jeep to pitch a tent on top.
- A 2 door Jeep vs a 4 door Jeep. – A 2 door Jeep isn’t going to have as much room as a 4 door Jeep. As a result, a mattress will take up most of the room inside of a 2 door Jeep than it will on a 4 door Jeep. Does this matter to you?
2 Door vs 4 Door Jeep
You’ll have to customize your Jeep very differently if its a 2 door vs it being a 4 door. A 2 door Jeep will definitely give you less room on the inside. Many Jeep owners that have a 2 door Jeep with a safari rack or hardtop, create a portable flat surface, usually made out of plywood, to pitch a tent. This way, they still have a lot of room in their Jeep for additional gear.
If you’re wanting to sleep inside your Jeep, a 4 door is ideal, although definitely not required. Many Jeep owners completely re-modify the inside of their Jeeps to make up to 7 ft of sleeping room!
If you do have a 4 door Jeep, you’re in luck! A 4 door Jeep offers a ton of more room inside. By just laying down the back row of seats in your Jeep, you have plenty of room to sleep, plus a little to spare.
Does the Model of the Jeep Matter?
The model of our Jeep impacts how you’re going to customize it. This article is giving you info on customizing a Jeep Wrangler, but you could very well customize any of your Jeeps for sleeping/camping.
The Jeep Gladiator is also a great option to use for sleeping and camping. With the added truck bed in the back, it makes it the perfect camping Jeep.
Sleeping Inside Your Jeep vs On the Outside
Sleeping on the inside of your Jeep is always the best option. Sleeping on the inside gives you a variety of options:
- You can quickly move your Jeep if you have to. – If you encounter any trouble at all when camping in your Jeep, you can quickly move. Examples of trouble could be desperate wild animals, people that are up to no good, and weather conditions, just to name a few. If you’re sleeping on top, however, you’ll have to pack your gear up in order to leave.
- It can be a little warmer. – If you sleep in your Jeep, or are thinking about doing it, remember one thing–don’t idle your Jeep. For one, it burns unnecessary gas. And for two, it’s bad for your health, and in some cases, can even kill you.
Sleeping on the outside also has it’s benefits as well. Here are a few:
- It’s more of a camping feel. – If you want it to be more like traditional camping, then you actually might prefer the tent on top option.
- Depending on your Jeep, it could offer more room. – Having a tent on top of your Jeep could give you a bit more room to stretch out.
Sleeping on the inside of your Jeep vs sleeping on the outside is definitely not better than the other, it finally just comes down to personal preference.
Recommended Gear For Sleeping/Camping in Your Jeep
A generator is one of the most important things you’ll carry with you when camping in your Jeep. You can use it to heat the inside of your Jeep without having to idle your engine. A good choice is the WEN 56200i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator. View its price on Amazon.
An Overlander Tent
An Overlander tent is a tent that attaches to the top of your Jeep. They’re exceptionally useful and are a great option if you’re wanting to sleep outside on your Jeep. The Smittybilt Overlander Tent is a great option. View its price on Amazon.
Memory Foam Mattress
A memory foam mattress is great if you’re planning on sleeping inside your Jeep. Since its memory foam, you can cut it to the shape of the inside of your Jeep, making it the perfect fit. The Bedsy Sleep 3″ Gel Memory Foam Mattress is a good choice. You can purchase it in different sizes and then cut it to shape for the inside of your Jeep. View its price on Amazon.
Wrangler Sleeping Mattress
If you’re not wanting to go the memory foam route. This is the next best option. It’s perfect for those of you who own a 4 door Jeep. It’s originally designed for a 4 door Jeep, and I haven’t tested it with a 2 door yet, but I imagine it could work with some modifications.
The Xprite Black Jeep Wrangler Sleeping Mattress is an awesome option. When you lay your rear seats down, the mattress fully extends the whole length of your Jeep from the front row back. View its price on Amazon.
Examples of How Other Jeep Owners Have Slept in Their Jeep
Living in a Jeep Wrangler
DIY Overland Deck with Storage
5 Jeep Wrangler Overland Setups
If you liked this article, feel free to share it!