Benchmade is one of the most popular knife brands in the United States. Their knives are used all over the US and they have even collaborated with a number of custom knife makers since Benchmade became a company.
People either love or hate Benchmade because of their popular Axis lock locking system. Some say it breaks easily while others love it. In the end, it just comes down to personal preference.
So, is a Benchmade knife a good knife? Benchmade knives are quality made knives. Benchmade knives are used by rescue, law enforcement, and even the military. They even come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Top 3 Benchmade Knives
- Benchmade 940 EDC – This Benchmade knife is an awesome knife. With a slim profile and the popular Axis Locking Mechanism, it makes for the perfect everyday carry knife. View the price on Amazon.
- Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556 – This knife is great if you prefer carrying a smaller knife. With a lower profile, this one will fit in your pocket a bit better than other Benchmade knives. It has a
grivoryhandle and the same Axis Locking Mechanism. View the price on Amazon.
- Benchmade Crooked River – This knife is an awesome knife and even a best seller. With a stabilized wood handle and the Axis Locking Mechanism, this knife resembles a small hunting knife. Perfect if you spend a lot of times outdoors. View the price on Amazon.
What is a Benchmade Knife
A Benchmade knife is made by the company, Benchmade. Benchmade knives are known for their popular Axis Locking Mechanism. However, Benchmade is not the one who originally came up with the idea.
The Axis Locking Mechanism was first introduced in 1988 and has inspired many knife enthusiasts all over. The Axis Locking Mechanism was actually made and patented by two men, Bill McHenry
It’s not unusual for a Benchmade knife to exceed $100+. Many knife enthusiasts complain that Benchmade knives are overly priced. While this can be somewhat true, when you buy a Benchmade knife you know you are getting an above average knife. While they might be overpriced, they are good quality knives that are used by both the police force and the military.
History of Benchmade
In 1988, Les introduced a new company. This new company was named Benchmade. The goal of Benchmade was to produce a product in the US and have a strong commitment to product availability, quality
Benchmade Knives vs Other Knives
Benchmade knives are definitely more expensive than a lot of other knives on the market. However, the quality of Benchmade knives is a lot better than much of the competition, especially cheaper knives. Benchmade also holds the rights to the patent of the famous Axis Lock mechanism.
Is Benchmade better than Spyderco?
Benchmade and Spyderco are constantly going head to head with each other. They remain two of the most popular folding knife brands, and because of this, your choice primarily come down to personal preference.
Two of the most popular Benchmade and Spyderco knives are:
These two knives are very similar, and in some ways identical. The main differences between these two knives are the locking mechanisms and the blades.
The Benchmade Griptilian uses the famous Axis Locking Mechanism with the base models of the Griptilian offering 154CM steel and glass reinforced handles. This knife also comes in many colors, including a lot of bright colors that many other knives do not offer.
The base model of the Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 is slightly more expensive, but comes with a little bit better material. It features a G-10 handle combined with S30V blade steel. The ParaMilitary 2 also fits in larger hands more comfortably than the Benchmade Griptilian.
- View the price of the the Benchmade Griptilian on Amazon.
- View the price of the the Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 on Amazon.
Does Benchmade Make Other Knives Besides Pocket Knives
Benchmade is known for their popular folding knives, however Benchmade does make other knives including survival knives, hunting knives, tactical knives, and rescue knives. Benchmade is also known for their Bali-Song and automatic knives. A few of these knives are:
- The Benchmade Bushcrafter – A Survival Knife
- The Benchmade 15400 Pardue Hunter – A Hunting Knife
- The Benchmade Bedlam – A Tactical Knife
- The Benchmade Triage – A Rescue Knife
What is the most popular Benchmade knife?
One of the most popular knives from Benchmade is the Benchmade Mini Griptilian. The Mini Griptilian is the little brother to the Griptilian. While the two knives look very similar, the Mini Griptilian is a bit smaller than the Griptilian and comes at a little bit cheaper price.
Many knife enthusiasts like the Mini Griptilian as an everyday carry knife because of its size. Since it’s a bit smaller, it fits in your pocket more comfortably than the Griptilian does. However, if your a person with large hands, you might find that you like the Griptilian better.
Does Benchmade have a lifetime warranty?
Benchmade gives their knives a limited lifetime warranty. When you send your knife off to be fixed or serviced by Benchmade, they include their Lifesharp Service. This includes cleaning, oiling, sharpening, and the adjusting of your knife. This service is automatically included.
Here’s What is Covered Under the Benchmade Warranty
- Replacement parts for genuine Benchmade products due to manufacturing defects.
- The Benchmade Limited Lifetime Warranty only applies to genuine Benchmade products purchased from authorized Benchmade dealers.
Here’s What is not Covered Under the Benchmade Warranty
- Normal wear.
- Damage caused by neglect.
- Misuse or the failure to perform normal or necessary maintenance.
- Any Benchmade knife that is modified from its original factory condition will void the Lifetime Warranty of the knife. Disassembly of any knife by any person other than Benchmade’s Warranty department.